Joseph Smith/Polygamy/Zina and Henry Jacobs
FAIR: Defending The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since 1997
Index and cross reference page
- Click here for analysis of Zina and Henry Jacobs.
- Divine manifestations to Zina, click here.
- Polyandry and Zina: here.
- Child by Joseph ruled out by DNA testing here
- Emma Smith remark to Zina here.
FAIR wiki articles
|Plural marriage wiki articles|
Scriptural and doctrinal issues
- Book of Mormon Condemns Polygamy
- Contradiction between D&C 132 and Jacob 2
- 1835 Doctrine and Covenants denies polygamy
- Plural marriage is not Biblical?
- The Law of Adoption
- Purpose of plural marriage
- Brigham Young 8 October 1861 discourse on plural marriage
- Polygamists are to go beyond normal "bounds"?
- Joseph Smith and polygamy (Summary article)
- Youthful struggles with immorality?
- Was Joseph an early womanizer?
- Initiation of the practice
- Eternal marriage—introduction of the doctrine
- Divine manifestations to plural wives and families
- Fanny Alger—affair or marriage?
- Fanny Alger—William McLellin account
- Helen Mar Kimball
- Sarah Ann Whitney
- Zina Huntington Jacobs
- Mismanagement of the Lawrence estate?
- Adulterous before 12 July 1843, according to Lorenzo Snow?
- John C. Bennett
- John C. Bennett—Brothel at Nauvoo
- "Censorship" and "revision" of LDS history?
- Lustful motives?
- Ohio marriages illegal?
- Pro-polygamy pamphlet, "The Peace Maker"
- Polygamy/Remarrying without civil divorce
- Women locked in a room?
- Polygamous marriages to young women
- Children by plural marriage?
- "Love letters?"
- Did some women turn Joseph down?
- Incestuous sealings of brother and sister?
- Hiding history? (non-wiki) - has the Church hidden plural marriage?
Other Nauvoo period
|Brigham Young and plural marriage FAIR wiki articles|
- Brigham Young and polygamy
- Brigham said polygamist go 'beyond normal bounds'?
- Boasted could get more wives?
- Brigham Young 8 October 1861 discourse on plural marriage
- Emma Smith and Brigham Young
- Hiding history—does the Church try to hide Brigham's polygamy?
- Polygamy required for exaltation? Brigham Young in Journal of Discourses 11:269
- Brigham Young: Women not to meddle?
- Leaders worried missionaries take the best converts for wives?
- Required for exaltation?
- Parley P. Pratt's marriage and murder
- Plural marriage during the Mormon Reformation
- Remarrying without civil divorce?
- Quote mining—marrying "all the women you want"; having "thousands of wives"?
- Quote mining—plural marriage difficulties
Cessation of plural marriage
- The Manifesto the result of political pressure
- Post-Manifesto plural marriages
Reviews and theories
- In Sacred Loneliness Book Reviews
- The modern Church and polygamous groups
- Anti-Mormon polygamy polemic: 19th century and modern (non-wiki)
- Polygamy and depression in nineteenth century? (non-wiki)
- What are the "Works of Abraham"?
Lying about polygamy?
- Lying about polygamy? (non-wiki)
- Lying in Nauvoo era? (non-wiki)
- Lying in Utah before Manifesto (1890)? (non-wiki)
- Lying after the Manifesto? (non-wiki)
FAIR web site
|Plural marriage FAIR links|
- FAIR Topical Guide: Polyandry FAIR link
- FAIR Topical Guide: Polygamy FAIR link
- Suzanne Armitage, "O that my voice could reach the ears of those uninformed and misinformed." FAIR link
- Claudia Bushman, "Lives of Mormon Women," FAIR presentation transcript, 2006. FAIR link
- Michael W. Fordham, 'Ask the Apologist'—Plural Marriage in the Book of Mormon and D&C" FAIR link
- Gregory L. Smith, "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Plural Marriage (*But Were Afraid to Ask)," FAIR Conference presentation (7 August 2009). FAIR link
- Gregory L. Smith, "Polygamy, Prophets, and Prevarication: Frequently and Rarely Asked Questions about the Initiation, Practice, and Cessation of Plural Marriage in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." FAIR link PDF link
- Allen Wyatt, "Zina and Her Men: An Examination of the Changing Marital State of Zina Diantha Huntington Jacobs Smith Young," FAIR presentation transcript, 2006. FAIR link
|Plural marriage on-line articles|
- James B. Allen, "Line upon Line," Ensign (July 1979), 32–40. off-site
- Edwin B. Firmage, "The Judicial Campaign against Polygamy and the Enduring Legal Questions," Brigham Young University Studies 27 no. 3 (Summer 1987), 91–113. PDF link
- Danel Bachman, Ronald K. Esplin, "Plural Marriage," in Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 4 vols., edited by Daniel H. Ludlow, (New York, Macmillan Publishing, 1992), 3:1091–1095. off-site off-site off-site
- Stephen R. Gibson, "Does the Book of Mormon Forbid Polygamy," lightplanet.com. off-site
- Gordon Irving, "The Law of Adoption: One Phase of the Development of the Mormon Concept of Salvation, 1830–1900," Brigham Young University Studies 14 no. 3 (Spring 1974), 291–314. PDF link
- Stephen E. Robinson, Are Mormons Christians? (Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book Company, 1993),90–96. off-site FAIR link
- Gilbert W. Scharffs, The Truth About “The Godmakers”: A Response to an Inaccurate Portrayal of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Salt Lake City: Publishers Press, 1986). FAIR link
- Gregory L. Smith, "George D. Smith's Nauvoo Polygamy," FARMS Review 20/2 (2008): 37–123. off-site PDF link wiki
- W. John Walsh, "Is Plural Marriage Necessary for Exaltation?" off-site
- Robert B. White, "A Review of teh Dust Jacket and the First Two Pages [review of Nauvoo Polygamy]," FARMS Review 20/2 (2008): 125–129. off-site [None PDF link] wiki
- Mormon-polygamy.org off-site
|Plural marriage printed references|
- Danel W. Bachman, “A Study of the Mormon Practice of Polygamy Before the Death of Joseph Smith,” (1975) (unpublished M.A. thesis, Purdue University).
- Todd Compton, In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith (Salt Lake City: Signature Books, 1997), 1. ( Index of claims )
- Reviews of In Sacred Loneliness:
- Richard Lloyd Anderson and Scott H. Faulring, "The Prophet Joseph Smith and His Plural Wives (Review of In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith)," FARMS Review of Books 10/2 (1998): 67–104. off-site PDF link
- Alma G. Allred, “Variations on a Theme,” Presentation to Mormon History Association, 1999, updated on-line version of 6 December 1999. PDF link
- Danel W. Bachman, “’Let No One…Set On My Servant Joseph’: Religious Historians Missing the Lessons of Religious History,” Presentation to Mormon History Association, 22 May 1999. PDF link
- Danel W. Bachman, "Prologue to the Study of Joseph Smith's Marital Theology (Review of In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith)," FARMS Review of Books 10/2 (1998): 105–137. off-site PDF link
- Kathryn Daynes, “Review of In Sacred Loneliness,” Pacific Historical Review 68 (August 1999): 466–468.
- Todd Compton's response to Anderson, Faulring and Bachman Reviews in FARMS Review of In Sacred Loneliness off-site
- Todd Compton's response to Jerald and Sandra Tanners' Review of In Sacred Loneliness off-site
- Kathryn M. Daynes, More Wives than One: Transformation of the Mormon Marriage System, 1840–1910 (Urbana, Illinois: University of Illinois Press, 2001), 1. ISBN 0252026810.
- Stephen R. Gibson, One-Minute Answers to Anti-Mormon Questions (Bountiful, Utah: Horizon Publishers, 1995).
- Jeni Broberg Holzapfel and Richard Neitzel Holzapfel, eds., A Woman's View: Helen Mar Whitney's Reminiscences of Early Church History (Provo: Religious Studies Center, BYU, 1997). ISBN 1570083576. ISBN 978-1570083570. GospeLink (requires subscrip.)
- Joseph Fielding McConkie, Answers: Straightforward Answers to Tough Gospel Questions (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1998), 27–28. GospeLink (requires subscrip.)
- Ugo A. Perego, Natalie M. Myres, and Scott R. Woodward, 'Reconstructing the Y-Chromosome of Joseph Smith: Genealogical Applications," Journal of Mormon History 31/3 (Fall 2005): 42-60. (Discusses how DNA shows that the parentage of Moroni Pratt, Zebulon Jacobs, and Orrison Smith is not through Joseph Smith).
- John A. Widtsoe, Evidences and Reconciliations: Aids to Faith in a Modern Day, arranged by G. Homer Durham (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1960), 340–344. GospeLink (requires subscrip.)
- John A. Widtsoe, Evidences and Reconciliations: Aids to Faith in a Modern Day, arranged by G. Homer Durham (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1960), 390–393. GospeLink (requires subscrip.)
The Foundation for Apologetic Information & Research (FAIR) is a non-profit organization formed in late 1997 for the purpose of defending the Church. FAIR is staffed completely by volunteers, all of whom are dedicated to defending the Church. FAIR is not owned, controlled by, or affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. All research and opinions provided on this site are the sole responsibility of FAIR and should not be interpreted as official statements of LDS doctrine, belief, or practice.