Joseph Smith/Polygamy/Zina and Henry Jacobs
Copyright © 2005–2010 Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research. The content of this page may be not copied, published, or redistributed without the prior written consent of FAIR.
FAIR: Defending The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since 1997
- 1 Index and cross reference page
- 2 Further reading
- 3 Sobre FairMormon Juntar FairMormon Contato Doar Copyright © 2014 por FairMormon. Todos os direitos reservados. Nenhuma parte deste sítio pode ser reproduzida sem o consentimento expresso por escrito da FairMormon.
Index and cross reference page
- Click here for analysis of Zina and Henry Jacobs.
- Divine manifestations to Zina, click here.
- Polyandry and Zina: here.
- Child by Joseph ruled out by DNA testing here
- Emma Smith remark to Zina here.
FAIR wiki articles
|Plural marriage wiki articles|
Scriptural and doctrinal issues
- Book of Mormon Condemns Polygamy
- Contradiction between D&C 132 and Jacob 2
- 1835 Doctrine and Covenants denies polygamy
- Plural marriage is not Biblical?
- The Law of Adoption
- Purpose of plural marriage
- Brigham Young 8 October 1861 discourse on plural marriage
- Polygamists are to go beyond normal "bounds"?
- Joseph Smith and polygamy (Summary article)
- Youthful struggles with immorality?
- Was Joseph an early womanizer?
- Initiation of the practice
- Eternal marriage—introduction of the doctrine
- Divine manifestations to plural wives and families
- Fanny Alger—affair or marriage?
- Fanny Alger—William McLellin account
- Helen Mar Kimball
- Sarah Ann Whitney
- Zina Huntington Jacobs
- Mismanagement of the Lawrence estate?
- Adulterous before 12 July 1843, according to Lorenzo Snow?
- John C. Bennett
- John C. Bennett—Brothel at Nauvoo
- "Censorship" and "revision" of LDS history?
- Lustful motives?
- Ohio marriages illegal?
- Pro-polygamy pamphlet, "The Peace Maker"
- Polygamy/Remarrying without civil divorce
- Women locked in a room?
- Polygamous marriages to young women
- Children by plural marriage?
- "Love letters?"
- Did some women turn Joseph down?
- Incestuous sealings of brother and sister?
- Hiding history? (non-wiki) - has the Church hidden plural marriage?
Other Nauvoo period
|Brigham Young and plural marriage FAIR wiki articles|
- Brigham Young and polygamy
- Brigham said polygamist go 'beyond normal bounds'?
- Boasted could get more wives?
- Brigham Young 8 October 1861 discourse on plural marriage
- Emma Smith and Brigham Young
- Hiding history—does the Church try to hide Brigham's polygamy?
- Polygamy required for exaltation? Brigham Young in Journal of Discourses 11:269
- Brigham Young: Women not to meddle?
- Leaders worried missionaries take the best converts for wives?
- Required for exaltation?
- Parley P. Pratt's marriage and murder
- Plural marriage during the Mormon Reformation
- Remarrying without civil divorce?
- Quote mining—marrying "all the women you want"; having "thousands of wives"?
- Quote mining—plural marriage difficulties
Cessation of plural marriage
- The Manifesto the result of political pressure
- Post-Manifesto plural marriages
Reviews and theories
- In Sacred Loneliness Book Reviews
- The modern Church and polygamous groups
- Anti-Mormon polygamy polemic: 19th century and modern (non-wiki)
- Polygamy and depression in nineteenth century? (non-wiki)
- What are the "Works of Abraham"?
Lying about polygamy?
- Lying about polygamy? (non-wiki)
- Lying in Nauvoo era? (non-wiki)
- Lying in Utah before Manifesto (1890)? (non-wiki)
- Lying after the Manifesto? (non-wiki)
FAIR web site
|Plural marriage FAIR links|
- FAIR Topical Guide: Polyandry FAIR link
- FAIR Topical Guide: Polygamy FAIR link
- Suzanne Armitage, "O that my voice could reach the ears of those uninformed and misinformed." FAIR link
- Claudia Bushman, "Lives of Mormon Women," FAIR presentation transcript, 2006. FAIR link
- Michael W. Fordham, 'Ask the Apologist'—Plural Marriage in the Book of Mormon and D&C" FAIR link
- Gregory L. Smith, "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Plural Marriage (*But Were Afraid to Ask)," FAIR Conference presentation (7 August 2009). FAIR link
- Gregory L. Smith, "Polygamy, Prophets, and Prevarication: Frequently and Rarely Asked Questions about the Initiation, Practice, and Cessation of Plural Marriage in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." FAIR link PDF link
- Allen Wyatt, "Zina and Her Men: An Examination of the Changing Marital State of Zina Diantha Huntington Jacobs Smith Young," FAIR presentation transcript, 2006. FAIR link
|Plural marriage on-line articles|
- James B. Allen, "Line upon Line," Ensign (July 1979), 32–40. off-site
- Edwin B. Firmage, "The Judicial Campaign against Polygamy and the Enduring Legal Questions," Brigham Young University Studies 27 no. 3 (Summer 1987), 91–113. PDF link
- Danel Bachman, Ronald K. Esplin, "Plural Marriage," in Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 4 vols., edited by Daniel H. Ludlow, (New York, Macmillan Publishing, 1992), 3:1091–1095. off-site off-site off-site
- Stephen R. Gibson, "Does the Book of Mormon Forbid Polygamy," lightplanet.com. off-site
- Gordon Irving, "The Law of Adoption: One Phase of the Development of the Mormon Concept of Salvation, 1830–1900," Brigham Young University Studies 14 no. 3 (Spring 1974), 291–314. PDF link
- Stephen E. Robinson, Are Mormons Christians? (Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book Company, 1993),90–96. off-site FAIR link
- Gilbert W. Scharffs, The Truth About “The Godmakers”: A Response to an Inaccurate Portrayal of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Salt Lake City: Publishers Press, 1986). FAIR link
- Gregory L. Smith, "George D. Smith's Nauvoo Polygamy," FARMS Review 20/2 (2008): 37–123. off-site PDF link wiki
- W. John Walsh, "Is Plural Marriage Necessary for Exaltation?" off-site
- Robert B. White, "A Review of teh Dust Jacket and the First Two Pages [review of Nauvoo Polygamy]," FARMS Review 20/2 (2008): 125–129. off-site [None PDF link] wiki
- Mormon-polygamy.org off-site
|Plural marriage printed references|
- Danel W. Bachman, “A Study of the Mormon Practice of Polygamy Before the Death of Joseph Smith,” (1975) (unpublished M.A. thesis, Purdue University).
- Todd Compton, In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith (Salt Lake City: Signature Books, 1997), 1. ( Index of claims )
- Reviews of In Sacred Loneliness:
- Richard Lloyd Anderson and Scott H. Faulring, "The Prophet Joseph Smith and His Plural Wives (Review of In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith)," FARMS Review of Books 10/2 (1998): 67–104. off-site PDF link
- Alma G. Allred, “Variations on a Theme,” Presentation to Mormon History Association, 1999, updated on-line version of 6 December 1999. PDF link
- Danel W. Bachman, “’Let No One…Set On My Servant Joseph’: Religious Historians Missing the Lessons of Religious History,” Presentation to Mormon History Association, 22 May 1999. PDF link
- Danel W. Bachman, "Prologue to the Study of Joseph Smith's Marital Theology (Review of In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith)," FARMS Review of Books 10/2 (1998): 105–137. off-site PDF link
- Kathryn Daynes, “Review of In Sacred Loneliness,” Pacific Historical Review 68 (August 1999): 466–468.
- Todd Compton's response to Anderson, Faulring and Bachman Reviews in FARMS Review of In Sacred Loneliness off-site
- Todd Compton's response to Jerald and Sandra Tanners' Review of In Sacred Loneliness off-site
- Kathryn M. Daynes, More Wives than One: Transformation of the Mormon Marriage System, 1840–1910 (Urbana, Illinois: University of Illinois Press, 2001), 1. ISBN 0252026810.
- Stephen R. Gibson, One-Minute Answers to Anti-Mormon Questions (Bountiful, Utah: Horizon Publishers, 1995).
- Jeni Broberg Holzapfel and Richard Neitzel Holzapfel, eds., A Woman's View: Helen Mar Whitney's Reminiscences of Early Church History (Provo: Religious Studies Center, BYU, 1997). ISBN 1570083576. ISBN 978-1570083570. GospeLink (requires subscrip.)
- Joseph Fielding McConkie, Answers: Straightforward Answers to Tough Gospel Questions (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1998), 27–28. GospeLink (requires subscrip.)
- Ugo A. Perego, Natalie M. Myres, and Scott R. Woodward, 'Reconstructing the Y-Chromosome of Joseph Smith: Genealogical Applications," Journal of Mormon History 31/3 (Fall 2005): 42-60. (Discusses how DNA shows that the parentage of Moroni Pratt, Zebulon Jacobs, and Orrison Smith is not through Joseph Smith).
- John A. Widtsoe, Evidences and Reconciliations: Aids to Faith in a Modern Day, arranged by G. Homer Durham (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1960), 340–344. GospeLink (requires subscrip.)
- John A. Widtsoe, Evidences and Reconciliations: Aids to Faith in a Modern Day, arranged by G. Homer Durham (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1960), 390–393. GospeLink (requires subscrip.)